Sunday, August 29, 2010
Stars in Coma's latest LP And the Cloud Withdrew From the Sky is a goodun.
Let me be the first to tell you: it's really lush. The electronics are very well programmed and have a strange way of walking a fine line by being gestural and well orchestrated.
The release is out on Kingem Records - a little label started by Mark Zonda. It is the very first release on the label, but they have since released another, to all the DIY nuts out there I recommend getting on this stuff straight away so that you can have a label's discography!
Having said all that, the album has its quiet and introverted moments, namely My Hidden Fears, which I would say is my favourite track on the album, but is not necessarily the quintessential Stars in Coma number. Theres a song called NYE which is number 9.
Anyway the album is available on iTunes and through the website, as a CDR, with gorgeous artwork made by Håkan Carlsson and Mark Zonda. Staying true to the national Swedish identity, this is catchy indie-pop that will stay on your music player for extended periods.
Check them here.
Sunday, August 22, 2010
My name is Christopher and I am the curator and organizer of Nebraska Pop Festival (www.myspace.com/nebraskapopfestival), I am writing you to let you know about the second edition of Nebraska Pop Festival. The beneficiary for the 2010 Nebraska Pop Festival is UNO Mav Radio. All proceeds made from the festival will go directly to the station.
The Nebraska Pop Festival 2010, will be held on September 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 (those dates being Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday), with a pre festival show on Saturday, August 28th
35 independent pop bands have joined forces with Nebraska Pop Festival 2010, with representation including Local, Midwest, Coastal and International;
The bands will be coming from (11) different states: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Washington, New York & California. Also the Nebraska Pop Festival 2010 will include international bands from Denmark, Switzerland, Germany, France and Canada.
Tickets are $5 nightly and are available at the door only, anytime during each Nebraska Pop Festival event. The Friday and Saturday shows in September will be all ages. The shows held on Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday and the pre festival show, requires those attending to be 21 years and older.
Nebraska Pop Festival 2010 lineup of performers
Saturday, August 28th (pre-festival show) @ Barley Street Tavern. Official start time 8:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *21+
1. The Love Technicians (Omaha, Nebraska)
2. The Sleepover (Lincoln, Nebraska)
3. Platte River Rain (Omaha, Nebraska)
4. Mumford’s (Ames, Iowa)
5. I Am The Navigator (Lincoln, Nebraska)
6. The Renfields (Lincoln, Nebraska)
Wednesday, September 15th NIGHT ONE @ Barley Street Tavern. Official start time 8:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *21+
1. Panda Face (Lincoln, Nebraska)
2. Cleemann (solo) (Copenhagen, Denmark)
3. Coney Island (Madison, Wisconsin)
4. The Bedsit Infamy (Denver, Colorado)
Thursday, September 16th NIGHT TWO @ Barley Street Tavern. Official start time 8:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *21+
1. You Don’t Know Me (Omaha, Nebraska)
2. Normandie Wilson (San Diego, California)
3. Dexter Poindexter (Wheeling, Illinois)
4. Electric Needle Room (Kansas City, Kansas)
5. Pezzettino (Brooklyn, New York)
Friday, September 17th NIGHT THREE @ The Pizza Shoppe Collective. Official start time 7:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *ALL AGES
1. Floating Opera (Lincoln, Nebraska)
2. Gilbe (Des Moines, Iowa & Chicago, Illinois)
3. Kissing Party (Denver, Colorado)
4. The Mother Z’s (Chicago, Illinois)
5. Seaside Stars (Berlin, Germany)
6. Alone With Everybody (Toulouse, France)
7. Thunder Power (Omaha, Nebraska)
Saturday, September 18th NIGHT FOUR @ The Pizza Shoppe Collective. Official start time 7:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *ALL AGES
1. Eric In Outerspace (Omaha, Nebraska)
2. Mammoth Life (Lawrence, Kansas)
3. Matty Cries (Seattle, Washington)
4. Paris When It Sizzles! (Omaha, Nebraska)
5. James and the Express (Olympia, Washington)
6. Doug Hoyer (Edmonton, Canada)
7. Maid Marian (Iowa City, Iowa)
Sunday, September 19th FINAL NIGHT @ The Sydney. Official start time 7:00PM with end time approximately 1:30AM (This show is 5 USD at the door) *21+
1. Seedlings (Des Moines, Iowa)
2. Paper City (Long Beach, California)
3. Cleemann *full band (Denmark/Omaha & Lincoln Nebraska)
4. Modes of Resuscitation (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
5. Spencer McGillicutty (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
6. The Homestories (Winterthur, Switzerland)
7. The Wandering Bears (Iowa City, Iowa)
I would greatly appreciate it if you could help us spread the word about the festival.
Here is a free mixtape from the bands playing the festival
NB: if you need information about bands, press passes, coordination of interviews, etc. please contact Christopher @ NebraskaPopFestival@gmail.com
Curator and lead organizer of the Nebraska Pop Festival (2009 & 2010)
Post Office Box 875
Columbus, Nebraska 68602
firstname.lastname@example.org & www.myspace.com/nebraskapopfestival