Friday, August 7, 2020

Flipper's Guitar - good ol' indie/pop band from Tokyo, Japan

Flipper's Guitar was an indie pop band from the Tokyo, Japan late 80's/early 90's scene. A couple of the members went on to form solo careers following the demise of the band. One of them made quite the name for himself under the moniker of Cornelius. Anyways, this charming band was introduced to me a number of years ago by a dear friend named Hiroho, whom went to school with one of the members back in the day. For that I am forever grateful as their songs have brought me joy for many years. My favorite is "Hello" from Three Cheers for Our Side.


Some years afterwards, I discovered their album Doctor Head's World Tower. You might be questioning my grammar, though I said that correctly. That title has turned some heads upon recommending the album previously to others. Where do bands get these names from? If you go to their Wikipedia, surprisingly they have an answer for that. I was a bit shocked to learn of their shoegaze influence and what they had evolved into. Check it out, it's a doozy.